Admission as an Undergraduate Student

Undergraduate students are first-time college students, student who have attempted college- level credits during high school and/or after graduating high school, or students who have not been awarded a bachelor's degree.

Applications are accepted from resident, non-resident, and international students. Eligible undergraduate students may attend full-time or part-time. MSU-Northern reserves the right to establish requirements which will ensure successful scholastic performance.

General Admission Information

Applicants are responsible for submitting applications for admission, financial aid and housing, and must provide verification of immunizations. Applicants should be aware of the following:

  1. Applicants are requested to voluntarily provide their Social Security number, which permits the school to distinguish between individuals with the same or similar names.
  2. Students intending to apply for financial aid may obtain appropriate forms from their high school guidance office, on-line at, or by contacting Financial Aid at 800.662.6132 x3787. MSU-Northern's FAFSA school code is 002533.
  3. Students with less than 30 credits of college level coursework are required to live in the residence halls. Additional information about residence life and family housing should be referred to the Dean of Student Engagement/Director of Residence Life, 800.662.6132 x4113.
  4. Students must submit proof of required immunizations prior to registration for classes. In order to be in compliance with Montana state law, students born on or after January 1, 1957 who are taking seven or more credits OR are enrolled in a degree program must either:
    1. Show proof of two vaccinations against measles and one against rubella. Immunizations must have been given after 1967 and after the student’s first birthday and must have been administered at least thirty days apart. Current immunizations must have been administered in the form of the MMR vaccine. Immunizations must be documented by a physician, registered nurse or school official.
    2. Show documentation of having contracted measles and rubella. Documentation by a physician is required including dates of illness.
    3. File a medical or religious exemption.
      International students have additional immunization requirements. Please refer to the section entitled “INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS” for additional information.
  5. Students with a health condition or a disability which should be brought to MSU-Northern's attention may submit a confidential letter of need to Disability Services Cowan Hall Room 211B. Questions about services for disabled students should be referred to Disability Services 800.662.6132 x3704.